Monday, April 2, 2012

52 Books in 52 Weeks...again.

I've challenged myself to read another 52 books this year. Like last year, I'll easily surpass this goal - so just quietly I'm really aiming for 100. Last year I got to a very close, but not quite, 96 so I think it's do-able. I'm currently at 40 odd and it's only April.

So far I've read quite a bit of Young Adult Literature. This has included some very popular (and possibly overhyped) books, and some excellent stand outs.

The best:

Feed by Mira Grant, Deadline by Mira Grant. Books 1 and 2 in the Newsflesh Trilogy. Although these are post-apocalyptic zombie books they are actually more about personal freedoms, the power of the media (particularly 'new' media like blogs) and politics. I was excited to read Feed after having wanted to read it for ages, but it was Deadline that really got under my skin. I am really on a bit of dystopia/zombie type kick this year with my reading and so far, nothing has come close to these two. Eagerly anticipating book 3's release in May!!




Divergent by Veronica Roth is a YA dystopian thriller in a similar vein to The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, though not as violent or harrowing. The pacing is excellent, the characters believable and a bit of a YA romance is done nicely and without the obligatory YA love triangle. The world building probably isn't quite as good as Collin's but it was thoroughly engrossing and I spent a wonderfully lazy day reading it in one go.


Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater. Stiefvater is perhaps my favourite YA author and I have read all her novels, all of which I loved. Scorpio Races is no exception, in fact I think it might be my favourite. The atmosphere is somewhat darker and more dangerous than her other books -the water horses are a superb mix of terrifying and awesome, and Stiefvater really brings the legend to life with beautiful descriptions of their deadly appeal.

This is not really a plot driven book as 90% of the book is lead up to the actual races mentioned in the title. It's more about the characters - a coming of age type story, where the love story is something that grows organically from a reluctant friendship between an alooof horse trainer, Sean Kendrick, and a petulant girl in over her head (Kate/Puck Connelly). I listened to this as an audio book and it was superb.





Also worth a read:  

miss peregrine's home for peculiar children by ransom riggs. A quirky and quite different little book that utilises creepy authentic photos - perhaps one to read in print.

The girl who could silence the wind by Meg Medina. Poignant in it's simplicity. Set in South America this is sweet tale with an almost fable like atmosphere (no paranormal elements in case you were wondering about the title).

A small, free kiss in the dark by Glenda Millard.  A refreshing change in style and voice. This is an award winning book from an Australian author and was an easy 5 stars from me.



Give it a miss (aka don't believe the hype):

 The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan.
Matched by Allie Condie.
Across the Universe by Beth Revis.


All my book reviews are on GoodReads here

2 comments:

  1. good luck! I think I might try 52/52 this year, too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stumbled across your blog through Tri'Coterie (love the striping yarns, OMG!!), and discovered you're an avid reader too. You read a little more than I do, I only managed 59 last year (and it will be much less this year as I have started study) but I will definitely be checking in for book recommendations!! You've got me intrigued with Feed and Deadline - I'll definitely be adding those to my 'must read' list! Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete